A Dinner Invitation 晚餐邀请

时间 : 2012-05-05 15:07来源 : VOA官网 收听下载次数 :
下载音频
 

About this lesson

In this lesson you will learn:

 - How to accept an invitation to a dinner

 - How to compliment your host’s home

 - How to offer help preparing the meal

 - How to discuss dietary restrictions in a polite manner

You will also learn about the culture of dinner parties in the US, including common foods and drinks,appropriate gifts to bring the host, appropriate table manners, and the saying of Grace.

A beautiful home

  Thank you so much for inviting me over for dinner!
  太谢谢您请我来吃晚饭了!

  I love your antique furniture, it’s just gorgeous!
  我喜欢你的古董家具﹐太漂亮了!

  Dinner should be ready in half an hour, so just make yourself at home.
  再过半个小时就能开饭了﹐请不要客气。

  You have a truly beautiful home.
  您家真漂亮。

What to bring to a dinner party

As in many world cultures, it’s polite in the United States to bring a gift to your host when accepting a dinner invitation. Unlike in some cultures, it’s not a social requirement, and you won’t offend your host if you arrive empty-handed. However it’s a common practice that shows your graciousness and appreciation for the invitation.

A bottle of nice wine is the most common gift to bring to a dinner, followed by fresh flowers. Sometimes people bring accompanying dishes such as a salad or dessert. This is generally acceptable, but not as commonly done, as it could interfere with the host’s planned menu, or even be taken as a slight against the hosts’s abilities and level of preparation.

How can I help?

  Is there anything I can do to help get dinner ready?
  我能帮忙准备晚饭么﹖

  I’m happy to help any way I can!
  我愿意帮忙﹐干什么都行!

  I could use some help chopping onions if you don’t mind.
  如果你不介意的话﹐可以帮我切一下洋葱。

  And I’d love to get your help making the salad.
  另外﹐你还可以帮我做沙拉。

Just about ready

  Everyone have a seat, dinner’s just about ready.
  大家入席吧﹐晚饭马上就好。

  Who wants to say grace?
  谁来做饭前祷告﹖

“Grace” refers to the prayer that many American families say before they eat. Usually, everyone at the table holds hands and bows their head, then one person (usually the father or head of the household) says a prayer aloud, thanking God for the food and company. As a guest, you won’t be expected to lead the prayer, but you should be ready to clasp hands with your neighbors and bow your head, to show respect.

  Everyone dig in while it’s still hot!
  大家趁热快吃吧!

Pass the butter

  Could someone please pass me the butter?
  谁把黄油递给我行吗﹖

  If anyone needs more wine let me know, I’ll be glad to pour you some!
  如果有人想再来点红酒﹐跟我说﹐我可以帮你倒!

  Would you like a glass of wine with your meal?
  你吃饭的时候要不要来杯葡萄酒﹖

  Actually I don’t drink, but thank you, that’s very generous.
  我不喝酒﹐不过﹐谢谢您的美意。

I’m a vegetarian

  You should really try the steak, it’s so tender, it’s delicious!
  你一定得尝尝这个牛排﹐特别嫩﹐好吃极了!

  Thank you, it looks wonderful!
  谢谢﹐看着的确很棒!

  I definitely would, except that I’m a vegetarian.
  我真应该尝尝﹐可惜我吃素。

Our pleasure

  There’s plenty of green beans left, can I serve you some?
  青荳还剩了很多﹐我给你盛点吧﹖

  Thank you, but I’m pretty stuffed.
  谢谢﹐不过我已经挺饱的了。

*Usage alert!*: Note that “to be stuffed” has a very different meaning in American English than in British English. In America it’s simply a colloquial way to say that you’ve had plenty to eat. The British meaning is vulgar, so be aware of that if travelling to the UK.

  Everything tasted delicious, thank you so much for having me!
  每道菜都很好吃﹐谢谢您请我来!

  Sure, it was our pleasure.
  没问题﹐这是我们的榮幸。

  Don’t you touch the dishes, we’ll take care of those later.
  你不用管这些碗筷﹐我们过会儿再收拾。

  For now let’s just relax and enjoy each other’s company!
  现在让我们轻鬆一下﹐坐下来一起聊聊天吧!