Culture Shock 文化冲击

时间 : 2012-05-05 15:07来源 : VOA官网 收听下载次数 :
下载音频
 

About this lesson

我们在这课里要学习﹕

 - 如何描述美国文化和你自己国家文化的差异

 - 用”总体上”"大体上”等短语来表示你说的话是泛泛而谈。

First impressions

  I had a good first impression when I first arrived here.
  我刚到的时候对这里的第一印象很好。

  What would you say was your first impression of America?
  你对美国的第一印象是什么﹖

  What stood out to you about the country and the people?
  这个国家和这里的人给你印象最深的是什么﹖

  What cultural norms and values were new to you?
  你遇到了什么新的文化习俗和观念﹖

More spaced out

  When I first came to America, I noticed that everything seemed so spaced out.
  刚来美国时﹐我发现好像所有东西都很份散。

  My initial impression of America was that everything was really spread out.
  我对美国最初的印象是﹐所有东西都特别份散。

  When I first got here, the country struck me as being really large and spread out.
  我刚来时感触最深的就是﹐这个国家真是地广人稀。

People dress casually

  Relationships seem to be much more casual than I’m used to.
  人际关系似乎比我们国家随意得多。

  People in America seem to dress more casually than in my country.
  美国人穿衣打扮似乎比我们国家的人随便。

  Women are comfortable with showing more skin here.
  这儿的女性穿衣服更开放。

Making generalizations

当谈到对某个国家和哪里人的总体印象时﹐美国人通常会加上”似乎”、”通常”和”大体上”等词语﹐表明她们知道自己所下的结论并不适用于每个人。

  Everything seemed like it was spread out.
  似乎所有东西都很份散。

  Americans tend to be more casual about business relationships.
  在美国﹐商务关系通常没有哪么严肃。

  In general, I would say people tend to be friendly and casual.
  大体上﹐我觉得人们一般都挺友好﹐而且挺随意。

  On the whole, people seem to dress more casually than people in my country.
  总的来说﹐这里的人穿得似乎比我们国家的人更随便。

Privacy

  Americans seem to value privacy more than other cultures.
  美国文化好像比其它文化更注重个人隐私。

  I’ve noticed that Americans like to have time to themselves.
  我发现美国人喜欢独处。

  Some Americans like to keep people they don’t know at arm’s length.
  一些美国人会和陌生人保持距离。

Work ethic

  In general, Americans have a strong work ethic.
  总体上讲﹐美国人有很强的职业道德。

  Americans work much longer hours than I’m used to.
  美国人的工作时间比我们国家的人长好多。

  Americans tend to work hard and play hard.
  美国人喜欢在工作时拼命﹐在玩乐时尽兴。

Punctuality

  I’ve noticed that Americans really value punctuality and like to be on time.
  我发现美国人特别看重守时﹐一般都会准时。

  Time is money.
  时间就是金钱。

  American culture is one where “time is money,” so people are more punctual.
  美国文化讲究”时间就是金钱”﹐因此美国人更守时。

  In my country, people are less time-conscious. Americans are more punctual.
  在我们国家﹐人们没有这么强的时间观念。美国人比我们国家的人更守时。