Finding a Housemate 找室友

时间 : 2012-05-05 15:07来源 : VOA官网 收听下载次数 :
下载音频
 

About this lesson

In this lesson, you’ll learn how to:

 - Describe your ideal housemate

 - Characterize housemates you prefer to avoid

 - Appreciate the “Type-A” American personality

You will also learn about what Americans expect and appreciate in fellow housemates

How would you describe yourself?

  How would you describe yourself?
  你觉得自己是个什么样的人?

  How would you describe your living style?
  你如何描述自己的生活方式?

  How would you describe your lifestyle?
  你如何描述自己的生活方式?

Outgoing and social

  What kind of housemate would you say you are?
  你觉得你属于哪种室友?

  I’d say I’m fairly social and open to making new friends.
  我觉得﹐我比较合群﹐喜欢交朋友。

  Most people I meet describe me as outgoing.
  我认识的人都说我外向。

  The American Type A personality
  美国人比其她民族更外向。她们友好﹐容易跟不认识的人交朋友﹐尊重哪些畅所欲言的人。

My ideal living situation

  If you could live with anyone in the world, who would you choose and why?
  如果你可以选择世界上任何一个人和你一起住﹐你选谁? 为什么?

  How would you describe your ideal housemate?
  你心目中的理想室友是个什么样子?

  What would you consider an ideal living situation?
  你心目中的理想居住环境什么样儿?

  Who would you live with in an ideal world?
  在一个完美的世界里﹐你希望和谁住在一起?

Housemate etiquette

Living styles vary from person to person. Some people look for outgoing housemates, some look for quiet ones, some look for people who like to go out a lot, and some prefer people who don’t smoke or drink at all.In general, however, most people looking for a housemate want someone who is responsible (pays rent on time), does their share of the chores and housework, and is quiet (especially between 10 PM and 9 AM).Some also prefer to find housemates who will not have “overnight guests” (boyfriends or girlfriends who sleep over).

When living with strangers, many Americans prefer to be friendly but cordial, keeping enough distance to maintain a sense of privacy. Even among close friends, it is important to respect each other’s privacy by not going in the other’s room or looking through their belongings when the housemate is gone, and by knocking before entering.

Laid-back and drama-free

  If I could live with anyone in the world, I’d choose someone who is social but drama-free.
  如果全世界的人让我随便选的话﹐我会选择一个合群﹐但是又不爱惹事生非的人当室友。

  My ideal housemate would be someone who is laid-back and drama-free.
  我心目中的理想室友是一个性情平和﹐不惹是生非的人。

  I’d rather live with someone who is less social but laid-back than someone who is outgoing and a total drama queen.
  我宁愿跟一个虽然不是特别合群﹐但是性情很平和的人做室友﹐也不愿意找一个性格外向﹐却不断惹麻烦的人。

Your biggest pet peeve

A “pet peeve” is something that irritates you, but that others may not mind or even notice. Examples of roommate-related pet peeves include: not filling up ice trays after taking all the ice, drinking all the milk but leaving the jug in the fridge, drinking all the milk except for one sip, hogging the television, playing loud music, and so on. Can you think of something that’s YOUR pet peeve?

  What would you say is your biggest pet peeve?
  你觉得自己最无法容忍的事情是什么﹖

  What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to housemates?
  在选择室友时﹐你最不能容忍的是什么﹖

Couch potatoes

  I always try to avoid living with couch potatoes.
  我尽量避免和成天赖在沙发上的人作室友。

  I hate living with couch potatoes because they never pull their weight around the house.
  我讨厌和成天赖在沙发上的人做室友﹐因为她们从不帮忙作家务。

Party animals

  Nothing gets on my nerves more than having to live with party animals.
  最让我受不了的是和派对狂一起住。

  It gets on my nerves when they bring over all these random people.
  她们把一大堆不相关的人带回家﹐真让我受不了。

Mooches

  I hate living with mooches who ask you to pay for everything.
  我讨厌跟爱占小便宜的人住在一起﹐她们什么钱都让你出。

  My pet peeve is when housemates always mooch off me and eat all my food.
  我最不能容忍的是室友总占我的便宜﹐把我的东西吃得一干二净。