Following the Election 关注选举

时间 : 2012-05-05 15:07来源 : VOA官网 收听下载次数 :
下载音频
 

 

About this lesson

In this lesson you’ll learn how to:

 - discuss what you look for in a political leader

 - politely disagree with someone

You’ll also learn about how Americans participate in their political system through elections and discussion of politics.

Following the election

  Have you been following the election much these days?
  最近你关注选举了么﹖

  I don’t think my vote will make much of a difference in such a big state.
  我觉得在这么大的一个州里﹐我哪区区一票不能改变什么。

  You can’t just leave your responsibility as a citizen to everyone else.
  你不能把自己的公民责任留给别人完成。

  I guess if everyone thought their vote didn’t matter then no one would ever vote.
  如果所有人都觉得自己的一票无足重轻﹐哪就不会有人投票了。

This is a common conversation among Americans, especially in large states like California and Texas.About 50of the American voting age population regularly votes in elections.

A healthy debate

  Do you find yourself leaning toward one candidate or the other?
  你觉得自己更倾向于那位候选人么﹖

  I’d rather not say who I’m voting for since I don’t like getting into political arguments.
  我宁愿不说我要投谁的票﹐因为我不想和别人辩论政治问题。

Discussing politics or religion in a casual social setting is taboo in American culture.

  I just want to engage you in a healthy debate!
  我只想和你进行一些有意义的讨论!

Don’t see the point

  I don’t really see the point of arguing with each other about personal beliefs.
  我真不明白﹐就个人观点争来争去有什么意义。

  I think there’s a lot of value in hashing out why you feel the way you do.
  我觉得﹐告诉别人你为什么这么想﹐讨论彼此的观点﹐这样做很有意义。

  I don’t mind backing up my opinions as long as you don’t force your beliefs on me.
  只要你不把自己的观点强加于我﹐我并不介意解释我这样想的理由。

In the pocket of

  I don’t like the way the incumbent candidate is running his campaign.
  我不喜欢在任的这位候选人的竞选方式。

  Both the candidates this year seem to have their advantages.
  今年的两名候选人似乎都有各自的优势。

  I think the incumbent candidate seems to be in the pocket of powerful corporations.
  我觉得﹐在任的这位候选人好像完全受哪些大公司的左右。

  He seems to be a man of the people to me… you know he started out working in a factory.
  我觉得她好像挺平民化的﹐你知道﹐她是工厂工人出身。

  You know he started out working in a factory, right?
  你知道她是工厂工人出身吧﹖

The lesser evil

  I’ll never find a candidate who advocates every policy I support.
  我永远不可能找到一个推动我所支持的每项政策的候选人。

  I just try to pick the one I disagree with the least.
  我只能选择跟我份歧最小的候选人。

  I figure all politicians are dishonest so I try to pick the lesser evil.
  我也看明白了﹐所有政客都不老实﹐所以我只能选个稍微好点儿的。

After all

  I think charisma and the ability to speak well are just as important as a candidate’s platform.
  我觉得﹐个人魅力和演讲能力跟候选人的施政纲领一样重要。

  I was just about to say that but you beat me to the punch.
  我本来也要这么说﹐但是被你抢先了。

  Looks like we agree on some fronts.
  看来我们还是有些看法一致的地方。

  This turned out to be a worthwhile conversation after all.
  我们的对话看来还是有意义的。