Combating Stereotypes 打破成见

时间 : 2012-05-05 15:07来源 : VOA官网 收听下载次数 :
下载音频
 

About this lesson

我们在这课里要学习﹕

 - 当别人给你的国家或出身环境定型时﹐你要怎么做

 - 如何表达这种定型是对复杂情况的过于简单的理解

 - 如何讨论人们对亚裔美国人和伊朗裔美国人持有的定型印象

I’m sick of being stereotyped

  I’m getting pretty sick of people stereotyping me.
  我讨厌人们老是把我定型为某种人。

  It prevents them from getting to know the real me.
  这让她们无法了解真正的我。

  They should get to know who I am as an individual.
  她们应当了解我这个人是什么样的。

  I’m sick of being judged based on how I look.
  我讨厌别人根据我的外表判断我是什么样的人。

It’s a huge problem

  You’re right, it’s a huge problem.
  你说得对﹐这是个很严重的问题。

  Especially in places that aren’t very diverse.
  特别是在哪些不是特别多样化的地方。

  People just assume you fit the stereotype.
  人们想当然地觉得你就是她们定型印象中的哪种人。

  They judge you before they get to know you.
  她们还不了解你的时候就对你作了判断。

They think all Asians are smart

  What kind of stereotypes have you had to deal with?
  你遇到过人们怎么把你定型﹖

  Well people always cheat off me in school.
  在学校的时候同学老抄我的作业。

  They think all Asians are smart and study hard.
  她们觉得所有亚洲人都聪明用功。

  I try to explain it’s a cultural thing.
  我试着跟她们解释﹐这只是一种文化。

  It has nothing at all to do with intelligence.
  根本和聪不聪明无关。

Everyone thinks I drive a BMW

  Do you have to deal with a lot of stereotypes as an Iranian?
  作为伊朗人﹐你是不是经常被人们定型为某种人呢﹖

  Yeah, people always ask me where my BMW is.
  没错﹐人们总是问我我的宝马车在那儿。

  They think it’s funny, but I think it’s really insulting.
  她们觉得这是开玩笑﹐不过我觉得这很侮辱人。

  I tell them we weren’t all born with a silver spoon in our mouth.
  我跟她们