Moving to the States 来到美国

时间 : 2012-05-05 15:07来源 : VOA官网 收听下载次数 :
下载音频

About this lesson

我们在这课里要学习﹕

 - 告诉别人你想多久以后移民

 - 说明你希望看到的结果

 - 告诉别人你希望搬去那个城市或那个州﹐并说明理由

 -你还将了解美国最大的华人和波斯移民社区

I’m thinking of moving

  I’m thinking of moving to the States within the next 6 months.
我打算在六个月之内搬去美国。

  People say the West Coast is nice, where do you wanna end up?
人们都说美国西岸很不错,你想在那里定居﹖

  I actually have some family in Virginia so I might like the East Coast better.
实际上﹐我有些亲属住在维吉尼亚州﹐所以我可能更喜欢美国东岸。

You’d like it there

  If you like big cities I hear New York is the best.
如果你喜欢大城市﹐我听说纽约最好。

  I love Broadway musicals so I think I’d like living there.
我爱看百老汇的音乐剧﹐所以我想我一定会喜欢住在纽约。

  If I were moving to America I think I’d try for the South.
如果我搬去美国﹐我想我会在南方住住试试。

  You’d like it there because the people are really friendly.
你会喜欢哪儿的﹐因为哪儿的人都特友好。

My job situation

  Of course it’ll all depend on my job situation.
当然了﹐这完全取决于我的工作….。

  I hear the American government is buckling down on pollution.
我听..﹐美国政府要认真解决污染问题。

  I hope my company doesn’t relocate because I really like city life.
我希望我们公司不用搬走﹐因为我真的喜欢城市生活。

  I think your company will stay put.
我觉得你们公司一定会留下来。

Provide better

  I hope I can provide better for my family in the US.
我希望在美国能更好地养家。

  Do you think the standard of living there is a lot better?
你觉得哪里的生活水平是不是高很多﹖

  I think there’s a lot of opportunity over there to get ahead.
我觉得﹐哪里有很多发展的机会。

  It’s hard work starting from scratch in a new country.
在一个新的国家里白手起家是很辛苦的。

Get settled

  I wanna try to get settled before my daughter is old enough to start school.
我希望在女儿上学前能安顿下来。

  It’ll be hard for her to leave her friends here if she’s just started school.
如果她刚开始上学就要搬家﹐她会很舍不得离开自己的朋友。

  It wouldn’t be good to move her around so much.
总带她搬来搬去不好。

  It’ll be better to find a house near a good school and stay put.
最好是在好学校附近找个房子住下来。

Give me an edge

  I already have some connections so I hope that’ll give me an edge.
我已经有了一些关系﹐希望能给我带来点儿优势。

  I can always work in the store that my uncle owns if this job doesn’t work out.
如果这份工作不成﹐我总还可以去我叔叔开的店上班。

  That’s great that you have another plan to fall back on.
你能有退路太好了。

  I’m hoping everything will fall into place once I get there.
我希望到哪里后﹐一切都能顺利到位。

Immigrants in the US

移民在塑造美国文化方面发挥了重要作用。大家通过下一页的地图﹐能了解到某些移民人口是如何对美国的城市产生影响的。